Friday, October 17, 2008

North by Northwestern

One of the few real activities I do at Northwestern is North by Northwestern, an online web magazine that's quickly becoming the most successful and dominant news sources on campus (the Daily Northwestern is floundering this quarter, mostly because it has very few writers and hardly any freshmen signed up to write for them this year). I wrote for them a lot last year, but this year I've mostly been doing editorial work.

Our print magazine came out today, and to celebrate we were going to paint the Rock. In order to paint the rock, each group has to guard it for 24 hours beforehand (most groups just guard it for 12-14 hours, usually from around noon to midnight). Our print editor, Paul, arrived at the Rock at 10 a.m. to begin a days worth of guarding only to find another overachieving group already guarding the Rock. So that plan was foiled.

Last year, we painted the rock the night before the magazine came out. I'm not in this picture because I was at my dorm watching Dexter and it was really cold outside.

As an Assistant Managing Editor, my job is to go through all the articles that come in and write an detailed email to the section editor telling him/her what needs to change. Sometimes I make the teasers for the site. It's a super exciting job; I'm usually at the McCormick Tribune Center (where we edit the site) from 7 until 1 or 2 on weekdays.

This is some of the editors editing NBN last year. Neither of these people are here this quarter; they're away on journalism residency.

No comments: